The kick-off to the 2020-2021 season happens Sunday night at 5:00 PM in the Opera Birmingham parking lot (3601 SIXTH AVENUE SOUTH, BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA 35222).
Bring your own lawn chair. Coolers and refreshments are welcome. Admission is FREE!
Opera Shots was designed with the idea of “breaking down the stereotypes of opera.” With a casual, open-mic type of presentation, concerts will feature members of the Opera Birmingham Chorus as well as surprise guest artists.
Musical features will include the greatest hits of not only opera but also musical theatre. These events are sponsored by EcoLogical Insulation, Medical Properties Trust, and VIVA HEALTH, with additional support from Red Mountain Theatre Company.
Pop-up concerts will happen monthly throughout the fall in unexpected locations across the Birmingham Metro area. Stay tuned for the next date and location.
Concerts are FREE but “in this time of uncertainty, your support means more than ever and will help ensure the arts are preserved for future generations.” Donations are appreciated at www.operabirmingham.org.
This week’s guests include:
- Grace Hall Richardson, soprano
- Laura Pritchard, mezzosoprano
- Evan Fleming, baritone
- Guest artists from the University of Alabama Opera Theatre
This week’s selections include:
- “Seguidilla” from Carmen
- “Ballad of Queen Mab” from Romeo et Juliette
- “Barcarolle” from Les Contes d’Hoffmann
- “Come Home to Me” (solo with guitar)
- “Climb Every Mountain” from The Sound of Music
- “La ci darem la Mano” from Don Giovanni
- “Je suis Titania” from Mignon
Masks are required at this event and social distancing measures will be in effect. Please check the website for updates to the plan due to weather changes. Delays and last minutes cancellations are possible.