An incredible, 19-acre green space located on the Southside of Birmingham, Railroad Park offers a walking trail, two playgrounds, and delectable food at The Boxcar Cafe, all surrounded by a rise of condominiums and entertainment venues such as Regions Park, the Negro Southern League Museum, and Red Mountain Theatre.
As the sounds of the rain curtain patter, the whistle of trains coming and going will lift through the air as you take a jog around the outer loop of the park, which works out to be just under 3/4 mile. Much of the seating and walls within this breathtaking park were beautifully constructed from reused and recycled objects.
This urban oasis is a soothing retreat for anyone desiring to find a place of fun and peace. Owned by the City of Birmingham, and managed by the Railroad Park Foundation, admission to the park is FREE and offers a variety of amenities for everyone, including:
- Railroad Park Dining Car
- Outdoor gym equipment
- Two Playgrounds
- Scenic views to enjoy the walking path, and
- Designated area for skaters of various levels along with observer benches (for the less adventurous!)
An inviting location, Railroad Park is home to a number of amazing activities and special events open to the public.
- Get Healthy on the Railroad sponsored by Blue Cross and Blue Shield – a program offering diverse styles of exercise, including Zumba, Hip Hop Cardio, Yoga and Family Fun Friday every weekday at 6:00 p.m.
- Get Healthy on the Railroad Cooking Classes sponsored by Blue Cross and Blue Shield – healthy nutritional classes led by local non-profits on the Regions Bank 17th Street Plaza
- Senior Fit – open to all ages, this program focuses on building endurance, strength and flexibility in every “body”
- Financial Forums on the Railroad Presented by BBVA – targeting individuals of all ages, set and meet financial goals you may have been struggling with, whether you’re a young professional or entrepreneur.
Be sure to place these regular, signature events on your calendar so you don’t miss them!
- Symphony in the Summer – FREE summer concert series presented by the Alabama Symphony Orchestra.
- Jingle Bell Run/Walk – The Arthritis Foundation presents the largest 5K race series focused on fighting arthritis, the nation’s leading cause of disability.
- Girls Inc. Cajun Cook-Off
- Birmingham Corporate Challenge
- Cahaba River Fry Down
- Light the Night