Aside from being one of Birmingham’s most prominent event venues, the Boutwell Auditorium continues to add FREE community programming for citizens. Just added, the Bards & Brews quarterly Slam Event sponsored by the Birmingham Public Library, has relocated to the Boutwell to ensure safe attendance through social distancing for residents.
Now under the executive leadership of marketing and community outreach maven, Alicia Johnson-Williams, the Boutwell continues to grow in a positive direction.
Don’t miss another cool freebie!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
for more tips on how to live your best life on a budget in Birmingham!
Visit our website at Birmingham On the Cheap now!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
Most have known the Boutwell to host big-named artists including Mary J. Blige, Jamie Foxx, Fleetwood Mac, Nicki Minaj, and 2Chainz, to name a few.
Local organizations have also utilized the space to host Magic City Classic events as well as community-centric opportunities that have included panel discussions, health fairs, conferences, and meetings for personal growth and business development.
During the holidays, the city opens the doors of the Boutwell Auditorium as a warming station to provide outreach and food to Birmingham’s homeless community as the weather chills and temperatures drop, predominantly on a volunteer basis.
So it comes as no surprise that this popular venue embellishes upon its history as the city continues a monumental growth spurt. Johnson-Williams brings a focused vision to ensure the venue remains a staple within the city and is open to the community it is intended to serve.
Here are some events we are certain will bring value to you and others who take advantage of what the city is providing for personal health and growth.
Be sure to come back and leave a comment so we can ensure we’re providing information you want and need here at Birmingham on the Cheap!
Join the energetic and innovative Jamme Morginn, founder of Crunk Fitness, in an exciting and fun hip-hop workout for all levels that will successfully guide you towards your sizzling summer look!
Mondays and Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. through April 11, 2022
The Boutwell Auditorium
1930 Rev Abraham Woods Jr. Blvd
Birmingham, AL 35203
- If street parking is unavailable, access the parking deck at 710 20th Street N, Birmingham AL 35203
- Bring a canteen with water, and dress to move safely and comfortably.
- Bring a jacket or change of clothes for cold evenings to protect your health as you travel home following the workout.
If your superpower is lyrical, written words, then this poetry and spoken word events are for you! Enjoy FREE beer tasting, compliments of Hop City Craft Beer & Wine, at Bards & Brews and enjoy the performance of spoken word in a variety of performance poetry shared by other adult poets from across the city.
Fridays at 6:00 p.m. (See Details Below; Times will vary from event to event.)
Birmingham Public Library
2100 Park Place
Birmingham, AL 35203
- Bards & Brews – 1st Friday of every month EXCEPT December.
- Slam Events – Held quarterly in January, April July, and October
- Open Mics – Held on remaining Fridays throughout the year.
- 6:00 p.m. – Registration for Slam and Open Mic Sign-up
- 6:30 p.m. – Live Music / Event Kick-off
ADMISSION & PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Must be 18 to attend, 21 to drink. ID required for entry.
- Registration is $5 per participant,
- FREE admission for those not registering to perform.
- Each Slam Event awards cash prizes totaling $350.
- Southern Fried Slam rules are observed for the poetry slams. Slam rules can be viewed here.